Thursday 23 January 2014

KU Coast to Coast: Exploration of Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-Jutsu in Canada

In the Winter of 2013, I found myself like many of my fellow Canadian young adults; still living with my parents, a Bachelors degree still in it's envelope and no job.  Due to my circumstance, I did what any bored, young adult would do! I took whatever money I had and ran away! However, unlike many of my unemployed comrades, I didn't necessarily do it to find myself. I ran to find something else...

I kicked my heels up for some ass kicking! I took the opportunity to hone my Karate skills and decided to attend any Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-Jutsu (a contemporary interpretation of classic old-school Okinawan Karate) seminar available in Canada in the summer of 2013, these included:

June 16th &17th, Yamane Ryu and KU concepts in Chilliwack BC with Shidoin Cody Stewart, hosted by Sensei Don Shapland

July 14th & 15th, KU concepts in Fredericton, NB with Shidoin Nick DePaolo, hosted by Sensei Geoff MacDonald

July 27th & 28th, Ne-waza Techiniques in Georgetown, ON with Renshi-ho Paul Lopresti c/o Sensei Helen/Brian Sakamoto

August 17th & 18th, KU concepts in Calgary, AB with Renshi Olaf Krey hosted by Sensei Alan Colter 

With that, I also decided I would write an article for each seminar I attended.  The purpose of these articles is to promote the individual instructors, what Canada has to offer in the martial arts world and Koryu Uchinadi as a style. I simply wish to share what I learned on these trips as they opened up my eyes to the potential of the human body, mind and its creativity. 

For more information on Koryu Uchinadi, please visit:  http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/





 

No comments:

Post a Comment